[Editor’s Note: My good friend and ex-colleague Shriram undertook an amazing trip last year. Shriram is a cyclist and a runner. He belittles his running but he’s blessed with natural abilities. With no training plan and just two long 30k runs under his belt, he knocked off a full marathon (Auroville 2011) in 3:55. But […]
Archive | SportsRSS feed for this section
American sprinter James Gatlin, who’s just coming off a doping-induced ban, talks about competing with the fastest man in the world. Interviewer: Is Usain Bolt unbeatable? Gatlin: It’s like you watching for weaknesses of your opponents in a game like football or basketball. You watch them for what great athletes they are and study them. […]
Gosh! It’s been at least 5 years since I last played squash. Not counting the 3 games I played at an off-site corporate event in 2009. I’m talking ‘regular’ playing (regular = at least 3 times a week). Sometime last year, I removed “squash” from my Twitter bio — there are only so many “hoping […]
R.K. Narayan is my favorite Indian writer. I don’t know who is second on my list… in any case it’s not germane to this blog post. Under the Banyan Tree is a collection of short stories, arguably one of his finest books. It was the book that made me go buy every other book R.K. […]
Following is an excerpt from PG Wodehouse’s A Mixed Threesome – one of many beautiful golf stories from The Golf Omnibus. The scene being described is that of the story’s protagonist (Mortimer Sturgis) executing that perfect golf swing. In the narrative below, the inimitable Oldest Member (who stars in many of Wodehouse’s golf stories) is speaking […]
A selection of videos from my offroading adventure with Pranshu Gupta (and his bad boy friends) in Behrampur – a hamlet on the outskirts of Gurgaon. Disclaimer: no animals were harmed in the making of these videos (Jun 2008).
- vishy: Thanks!...
- Rone: It's called the "Valsalva Maneuver" actually......
- Softly, as in a spiritual sunrise - uLaaR: […] “just keep running”. Under n...
- Mahesha: Thanks. I don't plan on running barefoot. :) So ...
- vishy: Hi Mahesha, Sorry for the late reply. It's defini...
- Braja kishore Dash: Add the summary of s,dutta's The Warrior Returns...
- Mahesha: Any thoughts on what the 50k course is like ? Is i...
- Amit S. Joshi: Lovely blog as always. And healthy inspiration mon...
- manoj: He will get it... one day. You set a fine example,...
- Unnikrishna Pisharoty: No more words to describe the feelings. You have e...
- 1984 (7)
- American Memories (7)
- Barefootia (24)
- Books (41)
- Car & Driver (9)
- Creative Writing (1)
- Food (4)
- Galbraith (10)
- How do you solve a problem like India? (1)
- India-Socio-Politico (41)
- Kiddism (12)
- Kurien (6)
- Life (14)
- Outdoors (1)
- Photos-Videos (14)
- R2I (Decisions) (33)
- R2I (Staying Put) (39)
- R2I (Voices) (7)
- Random (39)
- Running (79)
- Sackett (3)
- Schools & EDU (5)
- Sports (6)
- Technology (2)
- Troubling (5)
- Vivekananda (5)
Follow @ulaar on Twitter